also available at www.SethSpeaks.net -
Good morning, Twins fans! I certainly hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas holiday and weekend. This week, we get another short week with New Years Eve on Thursday and New Years Day on Friday. Here are some random thoughts on the Twins, Vikings and more in the form of short thoughts and some links:
First things first, there will again be no SethSpeaks.net Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast. Instead, I will host a Live Twins Chat, so if you would like to get an e-mail reminder, participate in the chat or read the transcript later, please Click Here.
- Alright, I don’t talk much about the Vikings on here anymore, but I also don’t miss any of the games. Sure, I flipped over to Pawn Stars on the History Channel for a few plays, but in general, I most all plays. Here are a few thoughts I have on the Purple, but certainly feel free to add yours:
- They brought Brett Favre in to win in the playoffs, right? We aren’t to the playoffs yet.
- The Vikings issues in these losses have had little to do with the quarterback. Against Arizona and Carolina, it was almost completely on the offensive line. Last night, it was on the Vikings defense.
- Antoine Winfield was never fast, so, where was the safety help on that final play?
- Yo Adrian, hold on to the ball for once?
- The Vikings suddenly don’t have a bye week locked up. If Philly beats the Cowboys, the Vikings will host the Cowboys the following week, a game they should win. However, when they travel to Philadelphia, they could very easily be destroyed again because the game will be played outside… and the Eagles may be the best team in the league right now.
- Of course, at this time a year ago, people were talking about how the Cardinals were backing into the playoffs and couldn’t compete, and well, they made it to the Super Bowl. So, again, the playoffs are a crapshoot in football, as it is in baseball, so I’m not terribly worried either way.
- Maybe I’m just too laid back.
- Mark Derosa signed a two year, $12 million contract to play 3B for the San Francisco Giants. As you know, I’m not a huge fan of Mark Derosa, to be sure. This shows that the Twins clearly were not interested in him. He is a 34 year old utility player with a bit of power. My guess is that the Twins will sign a free agent 3B, but that they are waiting for the market to determine which guy they can get on a one year contract. Adrian Beltre is (wisely) out of their range, and that’s fine. But basically, the market could make Miguel Tejada or Melvin Mora available on one year deals. Or, worst case, they could go back to Joe Crede. But guys like Tejada and Mora at least have more potential than Crede, so getting them for one year allows a higher caliber of player without lessening the commitment to Danny Valencia over the long haul.
- Of course, we all assume that Nick Punto will start somewhere, but I’m still holding out hope for Felope Lopez.
- Here are Travis’s choices for Twins prospects 16-20, and here are 11-15, and then check out his choices for Twins prospects 6-10.
- Twinkie Town is voting on the Twins #24 Prospect now.
- Expect to hear much more about the Twins Winter Caravan in the next week or two. I have heard (But have not been able to verify online anywhere) that Nick Blackburn and Matt Guerrier will be going to Fargo as part of the northwest tour. I understand that Denard Span and Jeff Manship will be teaming on another route. Obviously 2-3 players get teamed with one media member and sometimes a Twins historical player and travel around the Upper Midwest the weeks before Twins Fest which is the final weekend in January.
Is there anything else going on with the Twins? That’s all I’ve got for now. Please feel free to discuss here.