also available at www.SethSpeaks.net -
At about 9:15-9:20 this morning, I will be joining Paul Allen on KFAN, its affiliates around the state and on KFAN.com. It’s been a lot of fun talking about the Twins all season long and today is no exception. The Twins have given us a ton to talk about:
- The Trade Deadline: Who should the Twins target, who would they be willing to give up, and what is their prioritized list of needs?
- The Offensive Juggernaut: Although they were held down to six runs on Wednesday, the Twins have scored a ton of runs and tallied a bunch of hits
- Danny Valencia has been incredible, but so has Joe Mauer. So has Delmon Young. So has, well, everyone.
- The starting pitching has been terrific. In the last ten days, Carl Pavano is the only guy who started a game and didn’t get a Quality Start. He and Francisco Liriano should be mentioned as Cy Young candidates. Baker, Slowey and now Duensing have been solid their last couple of times out. Can it continue?
- Gardy says Michael Cuddyer is the team’s most valuable player. I understand what he is saying and why he would say it, but who has been the Twins MVP?
- The four TwinsCentric guys got together the other night, and there were several topics discussed. If the playoffs started today and the Twins were in it, who would you have start Game 1 against the Yankees, Rays, Rangers, whoever? Pavano or Liriano? Or is this like the old Twins debate about who was more valuable, Justin Morneau or Joe Mauer (Answer: just be happy we have them both right now!)?
- Can Nick Blackburn really work on his struggles by pitching in the bullpen and rarely seeing game action? Would AAA time be better?
- When Justin Morneau comes off the DL, who is sent down? What about when Orlando Hudson does? Alexi Casilla and Jason Repko are out of options. The team has three catchers? What to do. What to do!
- What happens if Nick Punto has to go on the Disabled List now with his hamstring?
- What prospects are “untouchable”? With Cliff Lee and Dan Haren already dealt, are there any players available worth giving up a Top 10 prospect for? Could it be in their best interest to wait until August to deal?
- Bullpen is now being discussed as a Twins need. How are Glen Perkins, Anthony Swarzak, Kyle Waldrop, Pat Neshek or others doing in AAA Rochester? Are there any dark horse minor leaguers that could help in 2010?
These are some of the topics that we could discuss. You’ll have to listen in to see how I answer these or any other Twins topics we discuss. It’s nice that they are playing well right now. They won six out of seven games on the road. That is impressive no matter who the opponent. How would you answer? What other topics and questions are there currently surrounding the Twins?
Time will be at a premium for me the next several days with other, personal things, but I will try to blog occasionally.