also available at www.SethSpeaks.net -
Good morning everyone! Sorry the Friday blog is a little tardy. I’m taking a four day weekend, so I was driving last night from about 5:30 until about 10, and at that point, went to sleep. So, it’s up early on Friday, figuring out a plan for the day and a quick blog posting. The football picks will be posted later. Having 43 people in the panel makes it a little more difficult! It should be a fun weekend. We will be heading to the Twin Cities a little later today, and this weekend I’ll be at the Minnesota Zoo on Saturday and at the Gophers football game at TCF Field on Saturday night. You will definitely want to check back here on Monday when I post a special Twins awards blog where I contacted many Twins bloggers/writers/radio types on the Twins MVP, Pitcher of the Year and Rookie of the Year. So, hopefully you find the results interesting. I know that in the responses I have to this point, No fewer than five (maybe six) Twins players have received at least one first-place vote for team MVP.
By the way, I think it needs to be pointed out that the Minnesota Twins have the best record in baseball going into play on Friday!
With that, below you will find the question of the week, a look at this weekend’s Twins/Tigers series, lots of links to more great Twins blogs, podcasts and more. Have a great weekend!
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
What are your thoughts on the new Twins theme song, Don’t Call Them Twinkies?! I do know that it is way better than that Prince attempt at a Vikings song.
The Twins have already clinched the AL Central title, so at this point it is all about getting ready for the playoffs. Will they play Yankees? Will they play the Rays? Well, they can’t worry about that because they can’t do anything about it. But the team is trying to get healthy, and they are trying to set up their postseason roster. As you can see, the Detroit Tigers will get to see the Twins top three starters this weekend. Each will make one more start next week before the ALDS starts the following week. I’ll make an assumption, based on very little, that we won’t see Joe Mauer this weekend. After his MRI yesterday, I would think that Denard Span will get a couple more games off as well.
Here are the pitching matchups:
- Friday night – Francisco Liriano (14-8, 3.44, 1.25, .250) vs Justin Verlander (17-8, 3.46, 1.19, .231)
- Saturday night – Carl Pavano (17-11, 3.60, 1.16, .259) vs Jeremy Bonderman (8-9, 4.92, 1.39, .270)
- Sunday afternoon – Brian Duensing (10-2, 2.19, 1.13, .243 vs. Rick Porcello (9-11, 5.22, 1.41, .289)
Here is a look around the Twins blogosphere. A good site to find 66 Twins blogs is Newsbobber’s Minnesota Baseball Blog site., but you can also look on the left side of this page for many. I’ve only included blogs that have been updated in the last few days (let me know if I’m missing any sites that I should add):
- Aaron Gleeman posted his weekly Link-O-Rama.
- Nick Nelson wrote of Francisco Liriano and BABIP.
- Here are a bunch of great blogs with their thoughts on the Twins winning the division championship.
- Twinkie Talk wrote some thoughts on the 2010 Division Champions
- Knuckleballs posted Part 2 of a How Did We Get Here series.
- K-Bro Baseball wrote various thoughts on the celebration, including her dislike for Hawk Harrelson.
- Fanatic Jack wrote Twins Clinch Division, and then referenced Mr. Gardenhire’s postseason record, just for fun.
- Lipgloss and Baseball remembers a great night and some other Twins notes.
- I posted this the other day, but it’s really good, so if you missed it, check it out. For the Love of the Game was at Target Field through the postgame celebration. Here she has pictures of the night.
- Peanuts from Heaven posts some Reactions to a Division Title.
- Take a look at Game 158 of the 1961 thanks to Coffeyville Whirlwind.
- Off the Mark notes a Day he waits for is finally here.
- There’s just a ton of cool stuff at the That’s Twins Baseball blog, so check it out, and be sure to get your Viva La Stache t-shirt.
- OMG MN Twins posted Cat Names for several Twins players. (don’t ask, just check it out)
- On the Road with Shawn, he looks at Estarlin de Los Santos and calls him The 40 Man Roster Pariah.
- The North Dakota Twins Fan posts a History of the Homer Hanky.
Here are the links to the StarTribune.com TwinsCentric blog postings for this week:
- Tuesday – Seth Stohs – Catching up on the playoff roster
- Wednesday – Nick Nelson – The Minnesota Twins, Your 2010 AL Central Champs
- Thursday – John Bonnes – Who is the MVP?
- Friday – Parker Hageman – Celebrating Brian Duensing
- John Bonnes is on The Power Trip Morning Show on KFAN Tuesdays and Friday’s during the 7:00 hour. (Podcasts available here.) I am on KFAN with Paul Allen each Thursday morning at about 9:20. If you would like to listen, the podcast is available here.
PODCASTS AND MORE
- On Tuesday Night’s SethSpeaks.net Weekly Minnesota Twins podcast, I was joined by Cody Christie (NoDak Twins Fan) throughout the show and covered a ton of Twins topics. We were also joined by Brad Hand, a highly-regarded left-handed pitcher in the Florida Marlins farm system (their 2nd round pick in 2008) who is from Chaska, Minnnesota.
- On Wednesday night, I was a guest on Fanatic Jack’s podcast.
Any thoughts on the Twins or the Twins blogosphere? Feel free to leave your questions and comments here.