also available at http://www.SethSpeaks.net –
Just a few quick notes and links before I begin a very full, fun-filled Twins-related weekend.
First, a big thank you to Josh Johnson, Nick Lenz and also to Joe Benson and Kyle Gibson for this. It’s pretty cool.
Again, tonight I will be at the Hot Stove League Banquet. I’m excited to see Jim Kaat speak, and of course to hang out with John, TVOR, Howard and his wife and hopefully several others. Here is directly stealing something LaVelle blogged the other day, an e-mail from Julian, about the event:
Juan Berenguer has been added to the line-up for Ballpark Tours 3rd Annual Last Hot Stove League Banquet & Charity Auction scheduled for this Friday Jan 28th – Carpenter’s Hall 710 Olive Street in St. Paul. Senor Smoke will join Jim Kaat at the podium as our keynoters. In addition, local author Pete Schilling will chat about the art of heckling & a couple of media usual suspects (not sure who yet) will take part in our Q & A. The focus of the event is to raise money for the Dunning Little League baseball program & this anti-dome crowd will be able to bid on an auction item sure to ‘bring down the roof’!!!! The Ballpark Tours gang has raised over $50,000 for the fields at Dunning over the years.
Tickets are $30 in advance, $35 at the door. Tickets can be purchased at Anodyne Coffee, 43rd and Nicollet, 612-824-4300 and St. Paul: Golden Thyme Coffee, 921 Selby, 651-645-1340.
- John Bonnes and The Voice of Reason went to the Diamond Awards last night. John blogged about his thoughts, and I think it’s fair to say that TVOR had some thoughts as well.
- Rob Delaney has been claimed by the Tampa Bay Rays. I liked Delaney and what he did from the time he signed with the Twins as a non-drafted free agent following the 2006 draft through AA was remarkable. He had two option years left, and yet, I got the sense from many that he wasn’t going to make it with the Twins. He struggled at AAA. I liked the K-rate and the lack of walks, but most believed that he just did not have the ‘stuff’ to succeed in the big leagues. The Rays, who like the Twins lost a lot of their bullpen, can probably use Delaney more than that Twins would. Everything I’ve ever heard about Delaney is that he is a great guy, a great teammate, and I’m sure there are a lot of players in the Twins organization who will be saddened by this news.
- As for Dusty Hughes, the left-handed reliever that the Twins signed after the Royals let him go, my general thoughts are… Meh. That he was let go by the Royals doesn’t bother me at all. It’s funny, especially with left-handers but with any reliever, you just don’t know what you’ll get from day to day, much less year to year. I have no problem with the transaction, and maybe it’ll be a good thing. Maybe he can be the next Craig Breslow. I doubt it, but who knows?
- Nick Nelson posted some good thoughts about it as part of his Three-Bagger. Needless to say, Nick has not been a big fan of the Twins front office decisions most of this offseason.
- You can pre-order a copy of the Maple Street Press Twins Annual 2011 that John Bonnes and the TwinsCentric guys are finishing up. Seriously, it is going to be even better than last years, so get your copy today so you don’t have to compete with all the traffic caused by people trying to get their copy at the newsstand.
- Parker wrote a nice article on The Two Sides of Nick Punto. Again, I think that the Twins will miss Punto, but who knows, maybe Tolbert can be decent.
- The Twins announced last night that Bert Blyleven’s #28 will be retired. That’s great! But why wait? I never did understand that. It’s unfortunate that it didn’t happen a long time ago. Based on the class demonstrated by Jesse Crain at the Diamond Awards last night, I am certain he would have happily turned over his number.
- The Twins also announced on Friday that there will be a Tony Oliva bronze statue added outside Target Field this year.
- Sounds like the North Dakota Twins fan will be all over Twins Fest this weekend with posts and pictures, so be sure to check those out here.
- If you will be at Twins Fest this weekend, and you see guys in the autograph lines that have been on my podcasts or done Q&As on my site, etc., please thank them, and if you want, thank them for me. I obviously appreciate it and judging from your comments, you really appreciate them too.
- Finally, as I’ve mentioned other times, I plan to update this site and will probably have some pictures here throughout the weekend. But I will most likely be frequently Tweeting throughout the weekend, so if you don’t already, you may want to follow my tweets, at least for the weekend.
Thanks again for all of your support! Feel free to comment here, or e-mail me.