also available at www.SethSpeaks.net –
Here are just a few notes for the day:
- First, be sure to check out my new blog entry at the TwinsCentric blog at StarTribune called One Bad Bullpen.
- Then, be sure to listen to last night’s Twins Minor League Weekly episode where we talked about the prospects and the affiliates for 45 minutes.
- Finally, in a move that surprised me, the Beloit Snappers announced that Martire Garcia, a left-hander pitcher being used out of the bullpen so far this year, was released, effective immediately. He does have 25 walks (and 22 strikeouts) in 21 innings this season, but he is 21, left-handed, throws hard and has good secondary pitches. Clearly there is more to this story. Maybe it is none of our business, but that type of arm is not one you give up on, for sure.
- Hard-throwing Dakota Watts was put on the 7 Day Disabled List for the Ft. Myers Miracle with a “minor groin injury,” if there is such a thing. Brad Stillings came off of the Disabled List.
- With it becoming apparent that Kevin Slowey will be leaving the Twins organization in the fairly near future, it looks like he will be heading to Rochester in the next day or two. As much as I think that Chuck James or Carlos Gutierrez are the two who most deserve a promotion, I assume that we will see Anthony Slama, who has been better of late, because he is on the 40 man roster.
- Jim Thome is a pretty good baseball player. He came off the Disabled List and hit career home runs number 592 and 593.
Minor League Notes
Monday SethSpeaks.net Minor League Hitter of the Day– Lance Ray, Beloit Snappers
Monday SethSpeaks.net Minor League Pitcher of the Day – Kyle Gibson, Rochester Red Wings, Tom Stuifbergen, Ft. Myers Miracle
Red Wings Ramblings
Monday – Red Wings 5, Syracuse 0 – Kyle Gibson had been struggling for a few starts, but he returned to form in this game. He threw five shutout innings, allowing four hits, two walks while striking out eight. Chuck James threw two more scoreless innings. Anthony Slama struck out two in a scoreless inning, and the Jim Hoey struck out the side in the ninth. Ben Revere went 2-4 with a triple. Brian Dinkelman went 2-4.
Rock Cats Report
Monday – Rock Cats, Binghamton – Postponed by Rain.
Monday – Miracle 1, Tampa 4 – Tom Stuifbergen put together his best start since returning from the Disabled List. He threw 5.2 scoreless innings. He gave up four hits, walked two and struck out three. Blake Martin gave up one run on one hit and three strikeouts in his inning. Brad Tippett went 1.1 innings and gave up three runs on four hits. Brian Dozier led the offense. He went 2-3 with a walk and his tenth double. He also stole two bases.
Monday – Snappers 5, Kane County 8 – BJ Hermsen started and gave up three runs on six hits and a walk in 5.2 innings. He struckout three. Michael Tonkin struck out two in 1.1 perfect innings. Matt Hauser gave up one run on two hits in one inning. He struck out two. Jose Gonzalez gave up four runs on four hits and a walk in one inning to take the loss. Lance Ray went 2-4 with his fourth home run and two RBI. Derek McCallum hit his seventh double and drove in three runs.
As always, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.