also available at www.SethSpeaks.net –
Last week, I named Brian Dozier my choice for Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month. Last night, he spent about 20 minutes on the SethSpeaks.net Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast, and he was a terrific interview. Here is how Dozier ranked among all Twins Minor Leaguers in 2011:
- Runs (92) – 1st
- Hits (157) – 1st
- Triples (12) – 1st
- Stolen Bases (24) – 1st
- Total Bases (241) – 1st
- Sacrifice Bunts (10) – 2nd
- Hit by Pitches (11) – 3rd
- Doubles (33) – 4th
- On-Base Percentage (.399) – 5th
- OPS (.890) – 5th
- Slugging Percentage (.491) – 6th
- Walks (55) – 7th
Which of those stats surprised him the most? Why? Check out the podcast to find out…
Brian Dozier is from the small town of Fulton, Mississippi. (Small town near Tupelo, the home of Elvis) He went to Southern Mississippi for four years, culminating in a trip to Omaha and the College World Series. The Twins used their 8th round pick in the 2009 draft on Dozier and he signed quickly. I asked him who some of the coaches were that have helped him most in his three seasons in the organization. He spoke very highly of Ray Smith and Jeff Reed at Elizabethton saying that they were perfect coaches for players coming in to pro ball. In 2010, he played 39 games with Beloit before moving up to Ft. Myers. He received a non-roster invite to big league spring training and made the most of it. He started the season back in Ft. Myers and hit .322/.423/.472 with 11 doubles, five triples, two homers, 22 RBI and 13 stolen bases. He finished with 78 games at AA New Britain where he hit .318/.384/.502 with 22 doubles, seven triples, seven home runs, 34 RBI and 11 steals.
Please take time to listen to last night’s podcast. Following the Dozier interview, Cody Christie (North Dakota Twins Fan) called in and we talked several Twins topics while taking a couple of great phone calls. The 45 minute episode was one of my favorites, probably could have talked for over an hour. Let me know what you think. One of the phone calls came from a Twins fan in Ft. Myers who apparently has a roster of which Twins minor leaguers will be heading to the Instructional League, which starts on Friday.
- Speaking of the NoDak Twins Fan, today, he made his selection for Twins Minor League Hitter of the Year. Did he agree with me?
- The Baseball Outsider has a very interesting look at the Joe Mauer knee situation. (Knee to Know Basis)
- Peanuts from Heaven posted a very interesting perspective on the 2011 Twins season… Ominous, and yet?!
- Knuckleballs posted some More Suggestions for The Twins to Ignore.
- Puckett’s Pond posted a look at Starting Pitching potentially on the trade front.
- Twins Fan from Afar posted a Home Run Watch: Joe Mauer vs Jesus Montero.
- K-Bro Baseball posted Part III of her wish list for the 2012 season… she suggests counseling… for who?
- Todd Van Steensel pitched for Elizabethton and maintained The Clubhouse Chronicles. He is back in Australia for the winter, but the blog continues.
- The Platoon Advantage has a very interesting look at Twitter. Check it out here.
If you have any questions, comments, links, or anything, please feel free to ask in the Comments section.