also available at www.SethSpeaks.net –
This has arguably been the busiest week of my career, certainly the busiest two or three week stretch, so I do apologize yet again for lack of updates. Bear with me. Things will get better!
Today, I thought I’d write a few minor league notes. There’s a lot going on, and much more coming.
- Ft. Myers Miracle 1B/OF Steve Liddle, the nephew of the Twins 3B coach of the same name, recently had surgery to fix a right posterior labrum tear. Although it is not his throwing shoulder, it is the lead shoulder of his left-handed swing. He said he played with the injury “since late July, it was awful.” He is in a sling and plans to be ready for spring training in March.
- David Dorsey of the News Press (in Ft. Myers) wrote a very nice article on Twins 2011 6th round draft pick Dereck Rodriguez and his future Hall of Fame father Ivan Rodriguez. The elder Rodriguez spent time in recent weeks watching his son participate in the Twins Florida Instructional League. Dereck was born during “Pudge’s” second year in the big leagues. Yet Pudge says that he is not quite ready to hang up his spikes and catcher’s gear. That, of course, fuels speculation that the Twins might be a reasonable location for him to spend the next couple of seasons, backing up Joe Mauer.
- The Beloit Snappers announced yesterday that after 11 years with the team, GM Jeff Vohs has stepped down from the role. Matt Bosen will take over as the team’s General Manager after being the Assistant GM in 2011. Before that, he was the team’s Director of Ticket Operations and Merchandising for three seasons. Vohs moves on to a job at a Beloit bank. I had the chance to meet Vohs last July when I made my trip to Beloit to watch Snappers games. Jeff was very much supportive and helpful throughout the weekend. So was his entire staff. The Snappers are a well-run organization and the front office staff does a ton.
- The Twins have signed Estarlin de Los Santos, Deibinson Romero and Michael Hollimon. Each would have been six year minor league free agents.
- Steve Holm elected to become a minor league free agent, as did former Twins pitcher Pat Neshek.
- Tuesday in the Arizona Fall League, Brian Dozier went 0-3. I find it interesting, and a great thing, that he played 2B in this game. I think it is important for him to get time at both positions. Aaron Hicks was 1-2 with a walk and a triple. I tweeted earlier on Wednesday that Hicks was 0-13 with a walk and four strikeouts. In his next two games, he was 2-4 with a triple, three walks and no strikeouts.
- On Wednesday, Hicks was 0-3. Bruce Pugh gave up three run (2 earned) on four hits and a walk in 1.1 innings. Dakota Watts went the next 1.2 innings without allowing a base runner.
- Tom Stuifbergen has been incredible in World Cup play in Panama. He started with two scoreless innings in relief to get some work. He then threw seven shutout innings against Puerto Rico. On Tuesday, he got the start for The Netherlands against South Korea. He went eight shutout innings, allowing six hits, walking one and striking out two. He threw just 91 pitches in the team’s 5-1 win. James Beresford went 2-5 with a double and three RBI in Australia’s game.
- The Netherlands and Australia played on Wednesday, but their game was suspended with three innings to go because of rain. Allan de San Miguel was hit in the helmet by a pitch early in the game, but he stayed in the game. He said after the game that he felt a little sore. He is hoping to play a lot in the World Cup and then in the Australian Baseball League because he is now a minor league free agent, hoping a team will pick him up.
- Many Twins players are going to be playing in Winter Leagues. The Mexican League started on Monday. The Venezuelan Winter League began on Wednesday. Games will start on Friday in the Dominican Republic. The Puerto Rico League will start on November 4. The Australian Baseball League will start on November 3.
- Joe Benson was in the opening night starting lineup for los Tigres de Aragua, the team in the Venezuelan League that the Twins have an agreement with. Benson went 0-3, batting 7th and playing CF.
- Looking at Tigres roster, there are many current Twins minor and major leaguers: Benson, Cesar Ciurcina, Jhon Garcia, Jose Gonzalez, Edgar Ibarra, Jose Mijares, Miguel Munoz, Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia, Jonathan Goncalves, and Yangervis Solarte. There are also many former Twins minor leaguers and major leaguers on the Tigres roster: Yorman Bazardo, Horacio Estrada, Frank Mata, Jean Mijares, Yohan Pino, Wilson Ramos, Luis Maza, and Alex Romero. Other recognizable names on the Tigres roster include: Lastings Milledge, Scott Podsednik, Ronny Cedeno, and Martin Prado.
- Rene Tosoni mentioned on Wednesday that he was heading to Venezuela for Winter ball as well. He is on the Cardenales de Lara roster. Andy Baldwin and Lester Oliveros are on the Caribes de Anzoategui roster. Deolis Guerra and Pedro Guerra pitch for Navegales del Magallenes.
So, if anyone thought that there was nothing to follow during the offseason, guess again! Any thoughts or questions?