also available at www.SethSpeaks.net -
With the decision to tender a contract to each of the necessary players and signing Pat Neshek and Jason Repko, there is little more to say, so today, here are some links:
- Adam Dunn signed a four year, $56 million contract with the White Sox. After rumors said that AJ Pierzynski was about to sign with the Blue Jays, he re-upped with the White Sox for two years and $8 million. The team is also still trying to bring back Paul Konerko. Dunn can hit home runs and draw walks and strike out. He will take care of some position. He and Konerko are both old but solid hitters who can’t play any defense. AJ is AJ. I know some think this is some sort of difference-making deal, but there is still a lot of offseason remaining. Dunn definitely helps the White Sox, but what would he have done for the Twins? How would he have helped the Twins beat the Yankees in the playoffs against Sabathia, Price, Lee, Pettitte, Wilson, etc?
- With last night’s deadline for tendering contracts, there are suddenly a ton of bullpen options available to the Twins. Left-handed options include Hideki Okajima, George Sherrill, Andrew Miller and Ryan Rowland-Smith. Okajima could help on a couple of counts. First, he is a pretty good lefty-reliever to team with Jose Mijares. However, he also could help mentor Tsuyoshi Nishioka through his early struggles culturally in the States, if he has any. Could be a good situation.
- There are some interesting right-handers as well. Dustin Moseley made some spot starts for the Yankees. Joel Peralta had a 2.02 ERA, struck out a batter an inning and walked less than two per nine innings. He’s a fly ball pitcher, but that wouldn’t hurt in Target Field. I am very intrigued by Jose Veras, the Marlins reliever who throws an average of 94.4 mph on his fastball, but does walk a few.
- Last year, the running joke was that the Twins wanted a RH hitting DH/OF/PH option and ended up with Jim Thome. This year, a great option that fits those needs became available with Matt Diaz was non-tendered by the Braves. He has beaten up left-handed pitching throughout his career. So while Jim Thome’s agent says that he is going to play in 2011 and the Twins could be a team he plays for, Matt Diaz is a better fit. In 2010, he hit .273/.318/.512 against left-handers. Over his career, he has hit .335/.373/.533 against southpaws.
- If you want a speedier outfield, how about Tony Gwynn, Jr. He does a great job in CF. Lastings Milledge has been an enigma since he was drafted, but does have talent.
- Trent Oeltjen was non-tendered by the Dodgers. I was always a fan.
- David Winfree signed a minor league deal with the Diamondbacks.
- The Royals have apparently indicated that they will not trade Zach Greinke within the AL Central, and that’s fine. They were already asking for the world. Ed Thoma, the Baseball Outsider and a great writer for the Mankato Free Press, wrote about the Philosophy of trading within your division.
- Aaron Gleeman wrote about the Twins tendering contracts to all nine of their arbitration-eligibles.
- Roger Dehring posted his annual position player rankings over at Twinkie Town. I’m sure you all know who came out at #1, but there are plenty of surprises through his list of one through eighty-nine.
- Jeff A from the WGOM posts frequent Tigres Tales to let people know how Twins prospects are doing down in Venezuela, playing for Aragua.
- Parker from Over the Baggy asks Will Thome be Back?
- Several Twins bloggers asked, and then answered, the question, “What is the most important position in baseball?” Here are some of the responses:
- Jim Crikket of Knuckleballs wrote about several Twins topics in an article called Twins: Foreign/Domestic, New/Old, Friend/Foe.
- The NoDak Twins Fan reports that Twins Zubaz are back!! He also compared the mega-contracts of Troy Tulowitzki and Joe Mauer.
- And here is a new Twins blog worth checking out and bookmarking. It’s called Twins Takes.
- If you happen to be looking for our Week 13 picks, click here.
What else is going on with the Twins or any Twins-related updates? Please feel free to use the Comments to discuss Twins topics (again, nicely, please), and if you have other stories on the Twins throughout the weekend, be sure to link to them there as well.